Dreams of Flying.




My Photo
Name:

An aspiring pilot whose dreams are on hold.


i want to fly.
always wanted to.
but will I?

 

 

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Well, kinda, but then, there's still bridging...

Today was a relatively short school day, lessons started as usual at 11am but ended 1 hour earlier than usual at 1:10pm. The teachers said that unless we paid up all 'debts' and handed up all the forms, we could not get our report books tomorrow...I paid $2 for the fund raising card, leaving me with just enough money for lunch, or so i thought. Then, they also collected the money for the Be yourself Day. I had not enough money to pay that $2 but luckily Sylbia paid it up for me, so now i owe her $2...

Me, Bao Zhong, Cheuk Wing Jing Kai and Qixun stayed behind after dismissal, playing with the pieces of used paper that everyone left on the tables, making "paper bombs" and also throwing crushed papers at each other. We stayed till about 2:30pm before we finally headed off to have our lunch, at Rivervale Plaza. For the third time this year, Bao Zhong joined us for lunch instead of going home straight away, eating at KFC! Unfortunately, I didnt have enough money to buy my lunch at KFC as i had thought before, and i had to borrow another $2, this time from Cheuk Wing...

Before going home, I went up to Popular at Compass Point to see if the HSM3 soundtrack was out, i could not find it but somehow my sister did later on.

Just did a flight from Montgomery Regional to Atlanta, a short 1hr flight, in the cute little Sukhoi S-80GP. The plane shook a little bit when i powered up for takeoff but stopped just as quickly as it began, so i didnt take notice and continued with the takeoff roll. Climbout was relatively slow, probably due to my Take-off weight being 89% of MTOW.

A short while after Vr, was still climbing at V2 speed, eventually sped up and I could finally retract both the landing gear and flaps. As it got faster, it climbed faster too, and soon I reached today's cruise altitude of 17000ft. Crusie was uneventful, just maintaining the altitude and heading without using autopilot for the whole flight since its a short flight. I was on the MGM.LGC1 arrival, landing runway 9R.

I started my descent as I crossed over LGC VOR, from 17000ft to 12000ft over HONIE intersection and down to 4000ft over WOLMN intersection. Turned to intercept the localizer, slowing down and lowering the flpas notch by notch, but for some reason engine number 2's torque reading begand to oscillate up and down, violently thrashing the airplane about the yaw axis.

Managed to counter it by reducing the propeller pitch on engine 2, but then I would get slightly less power from that engine. I had to make the comprimise to land safely and prevent an accident on landing due to the wild swinging action. The wind was blowing 080 at 28 knots, a slight crosswind component but considerbly strong headwind, I had to fight to keep the airplane from slowing down too much, which was a challenge with reduced power on engine 2.

The landing was a bit off, I was blown quite a bit off the runway centre line and also my decreasing speed resulted in the airplane being below the glideslope. I managed to hold the plane up till it was over the runway before setting it down gently, at -91ft/min. Lastly, I turned off the runway and headed over to a gate before posting a query about that strange engine problem i had on the EuroHarmony forums.

AS OF NOW, 17.5 HOURS TO REPORT BOOK!


JavierGoh left a note at 10/22/2008 10:25:00 pm

***