|
i want to fly. always wanted to. but will I?
|
Monday, October 13, 2008
I woke up at 2pm this morning (yea, thats the time i usually wake up on weekends) and the first thing I did, turn on the computer =D
I played History Channel: Dogfights first, shot down about 14 planes for being killed 8 times, not too bad considering i'm still getting used to the keyboard controls. I was using the Japanese Mitsibushi Zero against the American Grumman F4F Wildcat.
Later, I tried having a fake dogfight with Joel in FS2004, then later tried a real dogfight on Lock On Modern Air Combat but both had their own problems. With FS2004, you couldn't really shoot the enemy down, thus it was a "fake" dogfight. With LOMAC, our computers couldn't connect to the other's session, so we didn't get to dogfight in LOMAC.
At 8pm, i turned the computer back on to make a flight, but first, me, CheukWing and JingKai had a long long discussion on where to go to tomorrow. By the time we came to a decision, I was late for my planned departure time.
The flight is EHM-2847 from Little Rock, Kansas to Atlanta, both in the United States in a Raytheon Beechcraft B1900D. When I logged on to the VATSIM server, I was plesantly suprised to find Mephis Centre online. The takeoff was smooth, not a bad start after a 4 week absence from the flight deck. After manually flying the B1900D to today's cruise altitude of 23000ft, I turned on the Autopilot. Halfway through the flight, Atlanta Centre came online, I was going to get full ATC coverage all the way!
I checked the weather at Atlanta and there were strong, turbulent winds there. How turbulent? I found out for myself as I approached Atlanta. Winds were blowing at 19knots, about 35kmph, and gusting to 29 knots, 53kmph. The worst of the wind was yet to come. Atlanta Centre turned me quite late for landing but that was not a problem. As I descended down the glideslope of runway 8L, the wind got worse. It was not gusting up to 35 knots, 65kmph. Just as I was about to touchdown, the wind hit a staggering 42 knots, 77kmph! Although since it was a headwind, my wings would have gained more lift and pulled me up, the vertical direction of the wind made me hit the deck at -400ft/min, with a crushing G-force of +2.82Gs! Some of the passengers might have pain in their backs for quite a while...
Ironically, while ProPilot penalised me for the excessive G-forces, FSPassengers prasied and rewarded me for the same thing, stating "Safe Landing despite extreme weather conditions", kind of a bitter-sweet landing...
JavierGoh left a note at 10/13/2008 12:01:00 am
***
|